Buying a work of art means experiencing the thrill of an auction, the adrenaline when you raise your bid one more time and the joy of winning the bid
- We have more than 60 years experience with artdealing
- We know the art market, the current trends and also the niches
- We are networked worldwide with collectors, museums, insitutions, whose knowledge and archives we can access at any time if required
- Decorative Art
- Works on paper
- Fine Jewellery
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- Come to the previews and talk to us
- Ask for a status report
- Ask for detailed photographs
We are happy to advise you at any time
- You can place bids personally at our premises (please register)
- You can place absentee bids
- You can place bids by telephone
- You can place bids live online
FAQ´s for buying art with Neumeister
You discovered a piece of art and you are interested in buying it and you are not familiar in antiques?
Don´t hesitate to get in contact with us. Just ask for a condition report or talk to our experts.
Are you interested in personal viewing? Please make an appointment
You are interested in taking part at the auction to buy the work you are longoing for?
There are many ways to bid with Neumeister:
- In the room (only with reservation and please waer a safety mask): just come and bid by yourself
- Bid by telefone (we give you a call during the auction; just make sure, that your are available at this time)
- Online is really safe and comfortable (just registrate for bididng and place your bids) - you need no mask and no appointment
- Place an absente bid - you need no mask and no appointment, it is safe
Auctioning starts out when the item is called up. The first call may be made at half the estimated price unless higher bids have already been placed in written form or by telephone. The auction proceeds at the auctioneer’s discretion, usually in 10-per-cent-steps.
Congratulations! The gavel falls when no higher bids have been submitted after three calls for a bid. However, the auctioneer is entitled to knock down subject to reservation, especially if the reserve – the minimum price set by the consignor – has not been reached. In this case, as the bidder you are bound by your bid until three weeks after the auction. If the consignor does not agree, however, the knockdown will lapse.*
In retail, there is always a fixed price that is set and paid, which includes the net invoiced value of the goods, the dealer's margin, and the statutory VAT.
In the auction, these three items are listed separately on the invoice. In addition to the hammer price, there is also the premium and statutory VAT (please read our auction conditions).
Conditional acceptance of bids: the minimum bid (= limit) requested by the consignor has not been reached
- Bids subject to reservation are binding three weeks after the auction
- The consignor is asked for approval
- After three weeks without approval or after the rejection of the bid by the consignor, the hammer price is no longer valid
- You can also simply increase your bid and secure the hammer price. The piece will then belong to you (if you are the only bidder)
- That is because artworks that have been awarded with reservation are not considered to have been sold – meaning they can subsequently be bid on by other bidders, whereby the prerequisite for that is a higher bid...
- ...oh, oh, the auction goes on...
When does it end?
When someone stops raising their bid and the limit has been reached.
Unsold items will be offered in the post-auction sale. You can place your bids here up to three weeks after the auction. The minimum selling price is set according to the minimum (reserve) price determined by the consignor.*
At NEUMEISTER payments may be made in cash (EUR/€), by direct-debit card (EC bank card) or by bank transfer. We do not accept credit cards. Please be sure to check your invoices during or immediately after the auction. In the event of delayed payment, we regret that default interest will be charged.*
If you have paid for your purchases directly, please collect them immediately after the auction. We will gladly assist you in finding a suitable carrier or art freight agent. Please note that shipping is at your own expense and risk.*
If you have any further queries or requests, please get in touch – also if you would like information on consignments. Our experts look forward to your call at +49 (0)89 23 17 10 - 0.
I made a bid and got the hammer price. Now I have changed my mind and no longer want it. Can I just return it?
There is no conventional right of return as in retail.
Returns are only accepted under special circumstances, which require a case-by-case assessment.
The following generally applies at auctions: sold as seen.
Our experts will be happy to advise you before your purchase. The pieces can be examined from all sides in advance at the exhibitions.
* The details given here are intended as examples only. NEUMEISTER’s conditions of sale represent the sole legally binding terms. Feel free to contact us for further information – we are always happy to assist.