Johann Matthias Ranftl - "Nachernte"

auction 928, Lot 68

THE RUDOLF NEUMEISTER COLLECTION - HIGHLIGHTS on 22 October 2019

Johann Matthias Ranftl

"Nachernte"

estimate:
€ 7.000 to € 9.000

Differenzbesteuerung    

result:
€ 24.130 (incl. 27 % buyer's commission)



description:
Johann Matthias Ranftl, 1804 - Vienna - 1854
Second Harvest

Two children with dog in harvested cornfield, collecting leftover ears of corn. Signed lower left and dated 1843. Verso, adhesive label inscribed "Local-Comité Wien", numbered and with information about the owner Fellner. Additional handwritten number 288/5 and adhesive label numbered 80 (1938). Oil on panel. 43.7 x 34.8 cm. Restored. Minor damage to frame. Johann Matthias Ranftl completed his studies at the Vienna Academy under Johann Baptist Lampi the Elder, Anton Petter and Johann Peter Krafft. He is in friendly contact with his fellow students Josef Danhauser and Friedrich von Amerling. His studies are followed by a stay in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where he meets Alexander Pushkin and makes illustrations for his "Eugene Onegin". In 1836 he accompanied Prince Paul Esterházy to London and took the opportunity to explore contemporary British painting and graphic arts, especially the works of Edwin Landseer and John Constable. From 1832 onwards, Ranftl increasingly devoted himself to contemporary events in his choices of subject. In his genre paintings he deals with urban as well as rural topics, sometimes with a sociocritical undertone. From the middle of the thirties an increasing occupation with animals, above all dogs, can be observed, his contemporaries call him "dog Raphael". Here the touching genre motif of the dog accompanying the two children, who turns attentively towards the approaching dark clouds, is also very typical of Viennese Biedermeier painting. Literature: Boetticher, Friedrich von, Malerwerke des Neunzehnten Jahrhunderts. Volume II, 1. Leipzig 1941 (reprint), p. 355, no. 26. Provenance: Fellner Collection, Vienna. - S. Kende, Vienna, Auction 5/6 October 1932, catalogue number 46. - Albert Pollak Collection, Vienna. - 1938 confiscation of the Pollak Collection, the present painting was inventoried with no. 80. - Restituted in 1951 to the heirs of Albert Pollak.